The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

MOCs for sale

5 posters

Go down

MOCs for sale Empty MOCs for sale

Post  Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I've got an idea and it relies on your assistance. I tried briefly to sell small mocs in my store but they were both poor in design and exposure. What if you fantastic builders submitted mocs to me, I gather the parts, create instructions, and sell them. The contributor would receive a portion of the proceeds. And next time one of the blogs features a pennlug moc, we try to get them to mention how I will be selling that moc and future ones in my store. I thought Pete's futuron mech (sorry I forgot the inspiration set's name) would be a great size to shoot for. If the moc contains a lot of expensive or hard to find parts, it wouldn't be the best possibility. So what do you all think of this idea? Once again, I would be selling none of your parts, just the design. I think having the celebrity of pennlug and our builders combined with a shout out on a blog could really launch this project.

Back to top Go down

MOCs for sale Empty Re: MOCs for sale

Post  rgb Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Tony E (Whatever happened to him?) used to suggest that I sell my MOCs on eBay. There seems to be some demand on there. I was thinking of doing that with my White Castle, since it's pretty iconic, but not sure if I would have copyright/trademark problems with them.
rgb
rgb
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 624

http://www.robbender.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am

rgb wrote:Tony E (Whatever happened to him?) used to suggest that I sell my MOCs on eBay. There seems to be some demand on there. I was thinking of doing that with my White Castle, since it's pretty iconic, but not sure if I would have copyright/trademark problems with them.

Not sure; there is someone already selling Cafe Corner style buildings of Chillis, Dunkin Donuts, and other named brand stores. I don't think he got licensing permission.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/accuratebrickinnovations1/m.html?item=290843762934&pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43b7a3a0f6&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He has a disclaimer at the bottom which I'd advise as well; "This sale is for a Fan Made Custom Item that uses LEGO® bricks to create the model. LEGO® is a registered trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this product or eBay listing"

Now Bricklink has wider LEGO Base, and lower "everyone else" viability. So likely hood of you getting a cease and desist order are lower.
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm intrigued by your idea Chris. In the past I've thought about trying to sell high end train kits much the same way Brickmania does
with their military kits. I even went so far as to build a locomotive I thought would be a good candidate for the inaugural set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/sets/72157627724955654/

It would be a pretty detailed, part intensive set but the construction isn't overly complex and it stays away from any truly rare hard to find parts. It's also proven to be very durable and an excellent running engine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/6118321700/in/photostream/

My intention wasn't for any kind of high volume seller but for a very high end, expertly detailed kit that would appeal to people who can appreciate having a finely crafted and historically accurate LEGO train model. I thought if I could at least sell 5 to 10 of these I could call it a success. If someone like [/quote]Broadway Limited can sell factory produced, HO scale train models for $300 to $500 surly there are at least a few people out there who would be willing to pay that for a much larger custom train model.

Cale

[quote="ctbyrne"]I've got an idea and it relies on your assistance. I tried briefly to sell small mocs in my store but they were both poor in design and exposure. What if you fantastic builders submitted mocs to me, I gather the parts, create instructions, and sell them. The contributor would receive a portion of the proceeds. And next time one of the blogs features a pennlug moc, we try to get them to mention how I will be selling that moc and future ones in my store. I thought Pete's futuron mech (sorry I forgot the inspiration set's name) would be a great size to shoot for. If the moc contains a lot of expensive or hard to find parts, it wouldn't be the best possibility. So what do you all think of this idea? Once again, I would be selling none of your parts, just the design. I think having the celebrity of pennlug and our builders combined with a shout out on a blog could really launch this project.
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickadier General Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am

ctbyrne wrote:I've got an idea and it relies on your assistance. I tried briefly to sell small mocs in my store but they were both poor in design and exposure. What if you fantastic builders submitted mocs to me, I gather the parts, create instructions, and sell them. The contributor would receive a portion of the proceeds. And next time one of the blogs features a pennlug moc, we try to get them to mention how I will be selling that moc and future ones in my store. I thought Pete's futuron mech (sorry I forgot the inspiration set's name) would be a great size to shoot for. If the moc contains a lot of expensive or hard to find parts, it wouldn't be the best possibility. So what do you all think of this idea? Once again, I would be selling none of your parts, just the design. I think having the celebrity of pennlug and our builders combined with a shout out on a blog could really launch this project.
It's definitely a cool idea, for sure. Yeah, the bigger they are the more time and cost intensive they may be. Then again, if you've got a system down, it would probably work. I was interested in doing this at one point but gave up on the idea because the model I wanted to do was a car that was part intensive and featured chromed bricks. For pricing, Dan from BrickMania suggested (as he does) pricing the kit at twice the cost of the parts (incl. shipping paid per part) to cover your time. At that rate I think I figured out that the car would need to be priced at over $150...

You say that your items never sold very well on BrickLink, but are you aware of any cases where people were able to make a successful go at it? The reason I ask is because I would think that custom kits would sell better via a specialized site like the one BrickMania has, on ebay, etsy or a conventions (ie: Cale's train, if a kit, would probably be popular at model railroading shows). Those sites have a much broader audience to tap into, though ebay fees are a tad bit nasty.

Good luck! Cool

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

MOCs for sale Empty Agreed - maybe instructions or photos?

Post  Brick_Dad Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi all, again, new to the site Smile
But I agree it would be kind of neat to organize something like that, but could be difficult based on logistics, prices, etc. However, I know for me personally, I would be interested in buying instructions. I don't always have the best creative mind (or time) to figure out MOCs, but I do love building.

Ironically, Cale, your custom PRR steam engines are what brought me to this site. And I would definitely be willing to pay for instructions (or at least detailed photos) of the build. I don't know that I could swing $400 all at once for a fully built model (plus part of the fun is building) but I would definitely consider advice/instructions/photos. This would allow builders of all budgets to slowly create the MOCs without a big investment up front.

So ct, maybe you could start there...???

Just my $.01 (government took the other $.01 as taxes...)

Steve

Brick_Dad
Raw ABS pellet

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down