The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011

+6
Shuppiluliumas
cjedwards
D_Runyon
Uniblab
Cale
P_Thorne
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011 Empty LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011

Post  P_Thorne Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:45 pm

I put some of this info in my summary of the 3 July 2010 meeting, but I'm expanding it here in the Events forum. We haven't decided on anything, but these are the first details we'd need to do so.

Each individual KidsFest page has a "Show Map" link to a PDF floor plan, but it's the same plan for all venues. It's dated March 2010 and shows NELUG+AFOL in one corner, and other AFOL in the opposite corner. And (2) the "Getting There" links are broken. And (3) the links to the 2011 Atlanta, Philadelphia and LA events all point to New York, so there are no details yet. Wow, that's some lousy site integrity.

Hartford, CT
Fri 20 Nov - Sun 22 Nov 2009
Connecticut Convention Center
"Sellout" crowds: from 14 states, >25,000 attendees

Boston, MA
Sat 25 Sep - Sun 26 Sep 2010
John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center

Chicago, IL
Fri 29 Oct - Sun 31 Oct 2010
McCormick Place

New York
Fri 12 Nov - Sun 14 Nov 2010
Jacob K Javits Convention Center

Hartford, CT
Fri 3 Dec - Sun 5 Dec 2010
Connecticut Convention Center (again)

Atlanta, GA

Philadelphia, PA

Los Angeles, CA
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 312

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011 Empty New info on Kidsfest

Post  Cale Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 pm

So I got this email from Steve Witt today.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to send out a list with all the upcoming dates for LEGO Kidsfests for 2010. If you don’t know what LEGO Kidsfest is, here’s the main site to check it out:

http://www.legokidsfest.com/

in a nutshell though, it’s a collaboration between the kidsfest team and the LEGO Group to put on some big expo type events. The proposed dates for this year are:
·
· September 24-26, 2010 - Boston, MA
· October 8-10, 2010 Chicago, IL
· November 12 -14, 2010 New York, NY
· December 3-5, 2010 Hartford, CT

If you’re interested in possibly displaying at one or more of these events the person to contact is Mike Guinan (cc’ed on this mail). Please talk as a club and have only one person email him if there is interest. Some of you may be working with him already and if so don’t worry about this, but this mail is to just make sure everyone is aware of what’s going on J

I’m here if you have any questions as well J

Steven Witt

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011 Empty Re: LEGO KidsFests 2010-2011

Post  Uniblab Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 pm

During the July Meeting Chris and I drafted a letter regarding PennLUG's interest in KidFest this year.

Chris, did you get to send that letter? if so, have you gotten any response?

Mike Tighe

Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 am

Cale wrote:So I got this email from Steve Witt today.

Hey everyone,

· December 3-5, 2010 Hartford, CT

If you’re interested in possibly displaying at one or more of these events the person to contact is Mike Guinan (cc’ed on this mail). Please talk as a club and have only one person email him if there is interest. Some of you may be working with him already and if so don’t worry about this, but this mail is to just make sure everyone is aware of what’s going on J

Steven Witt

Cale

I'm in for Hartford.
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 605

http://pennlug.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Uniblab wrote:During the July Meeting Chris and I drafted a letter regarding PennLUG's interest in KidFest this year.

Chris, did you get to send that letter? if so, have you gotten any response?

Mike Tighe

I'm really sorry, Mike and everyone! I got distracted preparing for a vacation I was on all last week, and never sent the letter. Maybe we don't need to send it any more, now that we've gotten the email from Steve. Has anyone contacted Mike Guinan yet? I can be the liaison, if people want...

-Chris
cjedwards
cjedwards
King of the Action

Male Posts : 337

Back to top Go down

Post  Uniblab Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Let's modify the the letter and send it. We really do need to start discussing details and requirements, both LEGO's and ours.

Chris, please send it to me as soon as you can and I'll edit it and send it back to you for proofiing and suggestions before you send it on. Okay?

Mike Tighe

Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:34 pm

After our discussions on Saturday, I e-mailed Steve W. and told him we want to meet with him as a group at BrickFair to talk about KidsFests. He said that he'd be happy to meet with us, and that we should remind him of that when we see him there.

Mike, I think you will serve as a great example, having participated in the KOP store opening (with gift cards as incentive) and being in a situation where you would have to take unpaid time away from work.

-Chris
cjedwards
cjedwards
King of the Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Uniblab Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:23 am

Good going Chris. This weekend will be a perfect opportunity to have a group discussion. If there will be any other Kid'sFest organizer people there, hopefully Steve can make sure they are at the meeting too.

If there are no objections I wouldn’t mind being the primary speaker during the meeting. I’ve given some thought as to what we want to bring up and how it should be said. Naturally I would want to hear everyone else’s ideas on what should or shouldn’t be said before the meeting.

Here are some of the things I want to discuss:

1.) There are vast differences between fan-run “Brick” events and the LEGO Corporate sponsored KidsFests.

2.) The fan-run Brick events are first and foremost of, by and for the AFoLs. It is an opportunity to admire the works of many other AFoLs. Most events have awards or some recognition from peers. Yes, it is great to have the public in to share in the appreciation but, quite frankly they pay so we can have a cheap event.

3.) These LEGO sponsored events are NOT for AFOLS. They are for the public. Period. The entire event is intended to be for profit to the organizers. We are there effectively representing LEGO and demonstrating what can be done with the product. We are essentially unpaid promoters/spokespersons.

4.) It is hard WORK dealing with the public all day long for 2 to 3 days. It is very draining. Not to mention the effort, time and loss of sleep planning, preparing, transporting, setting up and tearing down for each event.

5.) To be quite blunt, without a significant AFoL display present the parents in attendance are likely to conclude the whole thing is just a money making event for LEGO. (Which actually, it is.) Sure, the kids can try out some LEGO related video games, pay for slot car races, face painting and moon bounces, they can look at some new and old LEGO sets and even take their picture next to life-sized LEGO figures of movie characters. However, by far and away the consistently greatest attraction inside the hall at the first LEGO KidsFest was the AFoL display area. The onlookers were at least 6 deep all day long from the time the doors opened until the crowds were made to leave. If LEGO has any hope for repeat guests from one year to the next there will need to be that same significant AFoL presence at each KidsFest event.

6.) For PennLUG to be involved it MUST be a zero expense event:
A.) Hotel accommodations provided as close to each event as possible. Preferably at the event if the venue also has rooms within the same premises.
B.) All meals provided or paid for.
C.) Trailer rental reimbursed.
D.) Off street parking for all vehicles paid for, preferably in advance.
E.) Mileage paid for vehicles driven to and around events.
F.) Any cash reimbursements should be very easy and fast. Ideally right at the event, if at all possible.

7.) With 3 East Coast KidsFest events this Fall, along with other events PennLUG is planning on participating in or has been invited to, we run the risk of getting burned out.

8.) Many members of PennLUG have little or no paid time off and would therefore experience a loss of income to participate in any LEGO KidsFest.

9.) In view of all the time and trouble we will go through for any LEGO KidsFest event, to really make the whole thing worth our time as individuals we think we would deserve some sort of perk.

10.) When the KoP LEGO store opened many of PennLUG’s members at that time participated in the Grand Opening. As a thank you for our assistance with that huge public event we were each given a LEGO store gift card equal to $50 for each 4 hour shift worked plus a 30% off voucher.

In order to help convince LEGO of the importance and fairness of something extra for us like a significant gift card, it would really help the discussion to know:

Exactly who is interested in which Kid’sFest Events?

Who would need to take time off without pay?

Who would NOT be able to go to one or more Kid’sFest events without some sort of worthwhile bonus?

We need these answers not just from those going to BrickFair but from any and all KidsFest interested members ASAP.

Here are my answers:

Mike Tighe: Probably all 3 East Coast KidsFest events

I have already used up all my paid time off for the year

I will NOT be able to attend ANY of these events without making up for the loss of income. Rationale: This loss of income will directly impact my LEGO budget. If I have to take time off work I need to have the equivalent LEGO in my hand to make up for it.

I’m hoping we can work out a fair deal with LEGO to have a nice turn out at all the KidsFests.

Mike Tighe

Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:00 am

Exactly who is interested in which Kid’sFest Events?
My wife and I are planning to attend KidsFest Hartford. Without knowing a firm date for KidsFest Philadelphia, I won't commit to that yet but it'd be a possibility.

Who would need to take time off without pay?
I would probably be able to take off without trouble. However, my wife would be occupied with child care for much of the event.

Who would NOT be able to go to one or more Kid’sFest events without some sort of worthwhile bonus?
I will not be able to attend without- at minimum- compensation for lodging, parking, some food, and some kind of "perk" like a reduced-price shopping trip (like the last event). I would like to see more attention paid to food needs (trying to get lunch sorted out while we were exhibiting), gas expenses (why should we drive ~4 hours to promote a company for free?), and product compensation (giveaways at HQ were nice, but a $3 set isn't quite balance for an interstate-travel weekend).

Some comments on your 10 points:

1.) There are vast differences between fan-run “Brick” events and the LEGO Corporate sponsored KidsFests.

Absolutely. While I'm sure Vince and Steve know this cognitively, it's worth underscoring that there needs to be a reason for us to participate and share our joy in the hobby.

2.) The fan-run Brick events are first and foremost of, by and for the AFoLs. It is an opportunity to admire the works of many other AFoLs. Most events have awards or some recognition from peers. Yes, it is great to have the public in to share in the appreciation but, quite frankly they pay so we can have a cheap event.
3.) These LEGO sponsored events are NOT for AFOLS. They are for the public. Period. The entire event is intended to be for profit to the organizers. We are there effectively representing LEGO and demonstrating what can be done with the product. We are essentially unpaid promoters/spokespersons.

They pay their sales staff; I'm sure Lego can afford to "pay" us for our time.

4.) It is hard WORK dealing with the public all day long for 2 to 3 days. It is very draining. Not to mention the effort, time and loss of sleep planning, preparing, transporting, setting up and tearing down for each event.

And we have to be happy all the time! Also, these events draw not just kids & families but other interested members of the public. (I remember a couple of guys who were really interested in BrikWars.) We have to interact with people of ages 0-80 and find ways to present our hobby (and Lego's product) to all those different kinds of folks.

5.) To be quite blunt, without a significant AFoL display present the parents in attendance are likely to conclude the whole thing is just a money making event for LEGO. (Which actually, it is.) Sure, the kids can try out some LEGO related video games, pay for slot car races, face painting and moon bounces, they can look at some new and old LEGO sets and even take their picture next to life-sized LEGO figures of movie characters. However, by far and away the consistently greatest attraction inside the hall at the first LEGO KidsFest was the AFoL display area. The onlookers were at least 6 deep all day long from the time the doors opened until the crowds were made to leave. If LEGO has any hope for repeat guests from one year to the next there will need to be that same significant AFoL presence at each KidsFest event.

I agree that this is a key exhibit. While it's not the only draw (master model builder, sculptures, and club events were probably the other big targets), it's one of the most memorable for the parents who ultimately make the purchasing, travel, and attendance decisions concerning Lego products and events.

6.) For PennLUG to be involved it MUST be a zero expense event:
A.) Hotel accommodations provided as close to each event as possible. Preferably at the event if the venue also has rooms within the same premises.
B.) All meals provided or paid for.
C.) Trailer rental reimbursed.
D.) Off street parking for all vehicles paid for, preferably in advance.
E.) Mileage paid for vehicles driven to and around events.
F.) Any cash reimbursements should be very easy and fast. Ideally right at the event, if at all possible.

"Zero cost" could be tricky. I'm willing to negotiate. However, I cannot participate without lodging, parking, and some meals (ideally breakfast/supper each day and snacks for set-up/teardown). As a club, trailer rental and some travel compensation would really sweeten the deal (especially if we go to more than one show).

7.) With 3 East Coast KidsFest events this Fall, along with other events PennLUG is planning on participating in or has been invited to, we run the risk of getting burned out.

Each KidsFest needs to be compensated somehow. We simply cannot field that many exhibits on that many days without serious sacrifices. We are not, generally, travelling hobbyists (even hunters, fishermen, r/c drivers, and glider pilots don't travel every third weekend for 5 months). Our major builders (the ones who really anchor big displays) likely can't hit every show- and without them, it'll be harder to craft a successful layout/display.

8.) Many members of PennLUG have little or no paid time off and would therefore experience a loss of income to participate in any LEGO KidsFest.
9.) In view of all the time and trouble we will go through for any LEGO KidsFest event, to really make the whole thing worth our time as individuals we think we would deserve some sort of perk.

$10/gallon parts hunt was cool, but we were still paying for it. I know people like Chris dropped $100+ on stuff the company was having trouble moving/slated for scrap anyway. That's basically free money for them.

10.) When the KoP LEGO store opened many of PennLUG’s members at that time participated in the Grand Opening. As a thank you for our assistance with that huge public event we were each given a LEGO store gift card equal to $50 for each 4 hour shift worked plus a 30% off voucher.

This could be a good guideline for KidsFest. However, if we don't have to keep track of hours that would be nice- set a flat compensation and go from there (say, $300 plus 25% off).
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am

As for me I would like to do as many Kidsfest as I can. It's a great opportunity to show our stuff to the general public, promote the hobby we love, and build a good working relationship with LEGO. How ever I'm not independently wealthy.

Boston isn't likely for me. I would love to but it's far to close to our Steamtown show and WamaLTC's September show at the B&O Railroad museum for me to have the financial resources to do it. It would also take away vacation time I could use for other events. This is one where LEGO would really need to step up and help out for me to consider.

New York is likely though I generally like to avoid the Big Apple. Doing a show in NY is likely going to incur more expenses and potential headaches than normal so it would be great for LEGO to compensate us in a fair manor for this one.

Hartford is probably the easiest one for me and the one I will defiantly be attending. I would be happy with what they did for us last year at Enfield. However we have our month long show at the Allentown car museum that month so our resources will be split. Doing two shows at once is a challenge in itself so any way LEGO can help out is appreciated.

Philly next year is a definite. It's in our own backyard, how can we not be there? But having dealt with doing a show at the Philly convention center (NMRA 2006) I can tell you it can be a pain. And if LEGO wants any one other than PennLUG for this one (Wama, NELUG) they'll need to make it worth the effort.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuppiluliumas Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:32 am

For me, I am interested in doing all three this year and should be able to. My circumstances are a bit unique as I have family in CT and Boston and friends in NYC who are always willing to put me up. Obviously, Philly is pretty easy for me. That said, I still incur some more unusual expenses moving my stuff around (I often have to rent a car for the day to get it done). While I wouldn't necessarily expect compensation for that, it does make doing multiple events in a short span of time expensive for me. I will certainly need any costs related to getting to and from the show as well as meals, etc. covered in order to afford to go to all of them.

And, as Cale pointed out, the Philly show is IN the city. I'd also like to point out that the Boston and New York shows are as well. Hynes Convention center is basically in the center of Boston, and the Javits Center is in Manhattan near Penn Station. These places are difficult to access with large vehicles without being guaranteed a place to park.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianb Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I am possibly interested in CT, but I too would need some good compensation for Time off of work and time away from family. Maybe Wendy and Emma might come with, but that would be an added expense for me personally?

After reading all of the above comments - it sounds like you have some very well thought out ideas and justifications. We are not tring to be greedy, just trying to make it worth our while for prooting there product to the public. And the LEGO staffers are getting paid to come to the AFOL events and I'm sure that they are turning in expense reports for travel, lodging and meals as well...

Brian

Brianb
Brianb
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 452

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46915173@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Evie and I are Hartford only. We can't keep shutting our business down every 3 or 4 weeks for 4 days at a shot and having someone to watch our 3 dogs.
The same deal as last time or better if possible.
Her and I do like a private room.
And the trip to Enfield was a definite plus.

We will be doing Steamtown and Allentown though.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25699490@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  LegGodt Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 am

Michelle and I will be attending KidsFest in Hartford. I think hotel and parking should be paid for, some meals and snacks (food and water) during the event would be great too. Guess we'll find out more this weekend after talking to Steve.

We will also be at RailFest at Steamtown (it's only 10 mins away ... yea!)

LegGodt
LegGodt
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Male Posts : 130

https://www.facebook.com/leggodt

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Personally, I don't care to travel long distances by car, especially if I have to drive myself; I'm more of a plane/train guy. I would much rather limit my Product Evangelism to a one-hour radius. LEGO products are a hobby for me, just one of several, not an all-consuming obsession.

I'm lucky enough to *have* a generous amount of paid vacation days, but I like to spend some of it on, y'know, relaxing. Even staffing an SF convention is easier than working an expo crowd.

Question is: What is TLG's motivation to produce KidsFest events? What's the vision? Is it to have a "mobile LEGOLand Park", to serve regions far from California? (And, soon, Florida.) Like a travelling circus. Or a mobile store, for locations that lack one (or to draw people unaware of them)?

We shouldn't over-assume our own importance. Hartford didn't get 25,000 people because AFOLs were there -- the crowd wouldn't have known beforehand. Are masses of AFOL MOCs to be used in advertising? Will their presence become known through word of mouth, and therefore be expected? TLG didn't commit to eight more cities just on the strength of AFOL presence (I hope). It might be "Come for the brand name, stay for the enthusiasts," but that's it.

A note on phrasing: You can't call it "benefit" or "compensation" and probably not even "reimbursement," because those imply a formal employee relationship that has all sorts of paperwork ramifications. "Facilitating conveniences" and "tokens of appreciation" might suffice.
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 am

P_Thorne wrote:We shouldn't over-assume our own importance. ... A note on phrasing: You can't call it "benefit" or "compensation" and probably not even "reimbursement," because those imply a formal employee relationship that has all sorts of paperwork ramifications. "Facilitating conveniences" and "tokens of appreciation" might suffice.

Great points.
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

P_Thorne wrote:Personally, I don't care to travel long distances by car, especially if I have to drive myself; I'm more of a plane/train guy. I would much rather limit my Product Evangelism to a one-hour radius. LEGO products are a hobby for me, just one of several, not an all-consuming obsession.

I'm lucky enough to *have* a generous amount of paid vacation days, but I like to spend some of it on, y'know, relaxing. Even staffing an SF convention is easier than working an expo crowd.

That is a good point. We are into this hobby for our own enjoyment. None of us should feel obligated to do more than we feel is comfortable or we risk loosing sight of why we love LEGO in the first place. We all gain something different from the hobby and not all of us are into the event thing. No one should feel pressured to do events. They are there for those that wish to participate and those who don't can pass.

For me issues from last years inaugural Kidsfest aside I did still have a great time at the event. And while these type of events can involve a good deal of work I do find a certain satisfaction in seeing everything come together for a display and in experiencing the positive reaction and interaction from the public. This isn't my only goal in the hobby but it is an important one to me.

Question is: What is TLG's motivation to produce KidsFest events? What's the vision? Is it to have a "mobile LEGOLand Park", to serve regions far from California? (And, soon, Florida.) Like a travelling circus. Or a mobile store, for locations that lack one (or to draw people unaware of them)?

We'll I believe the basic Idea is to promote the LEGO brand and to get kids excited about building. I know that sounds like your standard corporate line but at the heart of it all that is the goal.

We shouldn't over-assume our own importance. Hartford didn't get 25,000 people because AFOLs were there -- the crowd wouldn't have known beforehand. Are masses of AFOL MOCs to be used in advertising? Will their presence become known through word of mouth, and therefore be expected? TLG didn't commit to eight more cities just on the strength of AFOL presence (I hope). It might be "Come for the brand name, stay for the enthusiasts," but that's it.

Did the people show up because of the AFOLs? No. Did they stick around longer because of us? Yes. Of all the different attractions at the event the AFOL area was by far the most popular. Our displays were packed four, five and even six people deep from opening to close while the rest of the LEGO areas (save for maybe free build area) while busy were not as dense. This was obvious to us, to the event organizers and to the LEGO executives. And while we are not the reason TLG is expanding Kidsfest to other cities we have the potential to be a very big factor in their success. There are hose in the LEGO company who realize this and want to build a good relationship with the AFOL clubs for the future of the event and many similar endeavors.

Cale

Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Just to be clear, I'm being the devil's advocate here. I want to know if this gravy train is heading for a cliff before it's out of the station, and if we'll burn our hamstrings while reaching for the golden fleece. (Okay, mixed a few metaphors there. More like a smorgasbord.)

Cale wrote:We'll I believe the basic Idea is to promote the LEGO brand and to get kids excited about building. I know that sounds like your standard corporate line but at the heart of it all that is the goal.

That's not an operational goal. If an expo's goal isn't "sell stuff on-site" but rather "induce purchases later," a competent organizer will perform some kind of survey to measure if the expo was effective at that goal. It's advertising, and what is its effectiveness relative to other channels? (TV ads, store displays, the club, in-store club activities.)

Cale wrote:Did the people show up because of the AFOLs? No. Did they stick around longer because of us? Yes. Of all the different attractions at the event the AFOL area was by far the most popular.

That's true after the people are in the door. But if the attendees stack up around the LUG display, do enough of them transfer to the other events in the room to make those events worthwhile to the organizers? Conversely, if attendees don't find a LUG display, how will they react?

Cale wrote:There are those in the LEGO company who realize this and want to build a good relationship with the AFOL clubs for the future of the event and many similar endeavors.

The problem (from the POV of event planners) is that AFOLs are not controllable. There might not be potential AFOL-contributors within range of a given expo; and if there are, they might at any time decide not to contribute (otherwise busy, burned out, disillusioned). (This is a known phenomenon in SF con fandom, where it's called GAFIAting - "getting away from it all.") Or there might not be a critical mass to produce an impressive display.

The danger is that PennLUG will become an auxiliary of TLG, with an inordinate fraction of our efforts and meeting time directed to serving KidsFests. What if we all decided to relax and build CubeDudes for a few years, instead of towns and trains and moonbases? Will we fall into the psychological trap of gotta build stuff that looks good to a non-AFOL crowd?

Last edited by P_Thorne on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added close-quote tag.)
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:34 pm

P_Thorne wrote:
Cale wrote:We'll I believe the basic Idea is to promote the LEGO brand and to get kids excited about building. I know that sounds like your standard corporate line but at the heart of it all that is the goal.

That's not an operational goal. If an expo's goal isn't "sell stuff on-site" but rather "induce purchases later," a competent organizer will perform some kind of survey to measure if the expo was effective at that goal. It's advertising, and what is its effectiveness relative to other channels? (TV ads, store displays, the club, in-store club activities.)

While I think they do see it as a form of advertising, LEGO makes money on the event itself! It's hard to argue with a cost-to-effectiveness ratio like that.

P_Thorne wrote:
The problem (from the POV of event planners) is that AFOLs are not controllable. There might not be potential AFOL-contributors within range of a given expo; and if there are, they might at any time decide not to contribute (otherwise busy, burned out, disillusioned). (This is a known phenomenon in SF con fandom, where it's called GAFIAting - "getting away from it all.") Or there might not be a critical mass to produce an impressive display.

The danger is that PennLUG will become an auxiliary of TLG, with an inordinate fraction of our efforts and meeting time directed to serving KidsFests. What if we all decided to relax and build CubeDudes for a few years, instead of towns and trains and moonbases? Will we fall into the psychological trap of gotta build stuff that looks good to a non-AFOL crowd?

We do now have someone in our corner at LEGO who understands these things. Jim Foulds is our liaison for KidsFests. We had a very open discussion with him, and it turned my attitude around completely, from worried to excited! Your concerns are certainly important, but at least we should be able to talk to him about all these things, rather than sitting in the dark and worrying.

-Chris
cjedwards
cjedwards
King of the Action

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

So, what did Jim say (for those of us who weren't there)?
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:21 am

D_Runyon wrote:So, what did Jim say (for those of us who weren't there)?

Well here is a brief rundown. There were many issues with last years fest discussed but the compensation issue seems to be the big one.

LEGO sees a definite benefit to having us participate in the KidsFest events and want us to be there. Jim knows that doing an event like KidsFest away from home is a big cost for a club and wants to make sure we don't have to bear that cost when LEGO is making a ton of profit from that event. An event we are helping to make a success.

He also believes that to get clubs excited about doing a KidsFest event there needs to be more incentive than just covering our costs. Unlike a fan run event such as BrickFair where there are many benefits for the AFOL (huge LEGO store discounts, seminars, guest speakers, AFOL interaction, etc.) KidsFest is more akin to a local train show where we get to interact with the public and show them our wonderful building skills but there isn't much outside of that. If we are the reason we are there at KidsFest is to display why should we travel far from home when we could just as easily do the same thing locally at a train show of the Library Sculpture event that we had recently. So to get clubs interested in KidsFest Jim knows that there has to be more benefit for us than just showing off our stuff and is working to provide that.

There is still a lot to work out. Jim has to meet yet with other exects at LEGO and work out details so nothing is guaranteed yet. But we are at least heading in a good direction and I'm confident we have the potential for a great working relationship with LEGO and the KidsFest events.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am

Cool- that sounds positive.
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:34 am

It's been a month since BrickFair -- speaking as someone who hasn't attended a meeting since July, have we received anything further from Jim F. re: which editions of KidsFest TLG would like us, and what considerations they are willing to make? Or which other LUGs, if any, will be helping at each?

Boston is next weekend (so, we're obviously not helping at that one) and Chicago is in a month (highly unlikely), but New York is in two months (11/12-14). (Remember, Philcon is the next weekend, 11/19-21.)

(An aside: due to permissioning problems, I still haven't put any events on the forum's calendar.)
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Quick note to your aside. I am still need to try and fix that. I have been uber busy and will try and work on it tommorrow.

As far as Boston. Cale did get the info on what they were willing to give us. If you want that info contact Cale directly. Its not going to be posted on the forum.

I know it wasn't enough for PennLUG or the Brickchick to go. I can't remeber if NELUG is going or not. I know originally they were going to handle the Boston show, but not sure now.

We are still waiting for the offers for Hartford and New York.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 am

Evil Jack wrote:Quick note to your aside. I am still need to try and fix that. I have been uber busy and will try and work on it tommorrow.

As far as Boston. Cale did get the info on what they were willing to give us. If you want that info contact Cale directly. Its not going to be posted on the forum.

I know it wasn't enough for PennLUG or the Brickchick to go. I can't remeber if NELUG is going or not. I know originally they were going to handle the Boston show, but not sure now.

We are still waiting for the offers for Hartford and New York.
Last I heard, Boston is a no go for anyone, IndyLUG is doing Chicago and we are waiting to see what their deal actually is before NYC is decided. There has been talk that this will be discussed more @ October's meeting.
Evie and I will not be at NYC due to work and the bedbug infestation that 90% of all NYC hotels have.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25699490@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next