The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

AoW Museum train activation buttons

3 posters

Go down

AoW Museum train activation buttons Empty AoW Museum train activation buttons

Post  Uniblab Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am

I delivered the train control buttons Friday. Joel was there and we talked about an issue with them. They work quite well as designed. However, they don't work as intended. The button must be pressed and held for the train to run.

When ordering parts for the new boxes, I got the same type of relays as is in the original. The problem is the relays are "delay ON", not "delay OFF". I spoke with Barry, the guy who built our original, and he said he had to do some odd things to get his delay ON relay to do what a delay OFF relay does normally. (Barry is apparently a retired industrial electrician of some sort and has years of experience working with control relays.) I tried a couple things I could think of before I delivered them but I could only get it to buzz instead of latch the way it is supposed to.

The condition I left the boxes was such that the kids would have to hold the button down to keep the train running. (After a 2 second delay to keep the kids from tapping the button to make the train jerk and decouple the locomotive from the cars.)

When I left the museum Friday Barry said he would look at our boxes when he came Sunday. I understand he took one of the boxes home with him to see if he can get it to run as we want it to. If he can get it to work he will apply the fix to the other box. I do not know when he will be returning to the museum.

If the boxes cannot be adjusted with those relays in them I will order the correct relays and return the first ones I ordered.

My apologies for the issue. My assumption was that by getting the same type of hardware I could easily replicate the function of the example we had.

Another potential issue: The relay turns the power on all at once. This sudden power can cause the locomotive to decouple from the cars if the train is parked at a high resistance spot, i.e.: corners. Heavier trains will likely be more susceptible to this issue.

Solution: I would like to build a "ramp up" circuit using a capacitor/resistor combination. However, I do not know how to determine what size capacitor and resistor to use, nor am I entirely certain of the wiring configuration. I could use some advice from an electronics engineer. As such I will consult with Tom Atkinson and see what he recommends. Once built I will add the circuit inside the new boxes.

I will continue to update the status of the visitor activation train controllers as I have more to report.

Mike Tighe
Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

AoW Museum train activation buttons Empty Re: AoW Museum train activation buttons

Post  Uniblab Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I just heard from Joel: The button system is working as intended with both buttons. Yeah! (Barry had to switch the connector at the button switch to make it work correctly. Now that it was explained to me it makes sense but I wouldn't have thought of that on my own...)

I will recommend that whatever train is left to be run while nobody is there should be a lighter train, like the LEGO kit trains - NOT any of the custom built trains.

I spoke at length with Tom Atkinson regarding building a "ramp-up" power controlling circuit. Although he clearly stated (several time...) "This isn't the way it should be done." it can be done. He sent me links to the parts I would need but they will be big and need good heat handling to last long. Which means I'd need to buy bigger boxes to replace the boxes being used now. (Something I wouldn't mind doing any way because it would give more room for the track wire connectors to be wired up. Right now it is a bit tight to turn them with your fingers.)

The cost for the parts would be about $35 (4 big capacitors and 10 resistors). I'd have to do some testing to get the delay right. It might take 2, 3 or all 4 capacitors. If it takes more than 2 of the capacitors I could buy more for the 2nd box.

Bottom line: The buttons are working now. Let's watch to see if the instant power-on to the tracks is an issue before worrying about building extra control circuitry. Use kit-built trains only for public operation!

Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

AoW Museum train activation buttons Empty Re: AoW Museum train activation buttons

Post  Brianb Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you Mike for the continued work and updates.

Brian
Brianb
Brianb
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 452

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46915173@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Brianb wrote:Thank you Mike for the continued work and updates.

Brian

I agree. Thank you Mike for your help with this and thank you Brian for working on the bottom stands.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum