The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Cuusoo and the bane of licenses

3 posters

Go down

Cuusoo and the bane of licenses Empty Cuusoo and the bane of licenses

Post  P_Thorne Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm

(For brevity, I hereby coin the term "licensoids" for "ideas that require licensing of intellectual property (IP).")

At the May 9 (Wed.) KoP meeting, recent 10,000-vote proposals on LEGO Cuusoo were discussed briefly, and Chris voiced his vehement objection to licensoids (Back to the Future III DeLorean, Firefly freighter Serenity). Since in many cases LEGO won't be able to negotiate a license and will reject the proposal, should it impose an additional criterion to prevent licensoids from the outset?

Why do builders propose licenseoids, and why do people vote for them? IMHO, same reason as the little kids at our shows notice the licensed minifigs first, and the clever architectural flourishes never: they're familiar and recognizable.†

As I see it, a licensoid would be acceptable under these conditions:
* It extends an active license (e.g., Star Wars).
* It adds to a dormant license that might be revived (e.g., Avatar: The Last Airbender, which suffered from the dearth of buildable vehicles during its first season).
* It would need a new license from an existing licensor (e.g., Generator Rex††, from Cartoon Network, which licensed Ben 10).

But licensoids tapping entirely new licensors would be rejected. The submission-screen could actually be structured using these point-by-point criteria. (I agree with Chris that entirely original submissions, free of IP constraints, are always preferable.) Submitters may be forgiven if they don't know the exact circumstances of each license, since it's not like TLG posts a current list and contract details (e.g., CN may've been a one-time deal; Spider-Man-the-character was licensed from Sony, not Marvel; the Star Wars battle packs exist because Hasbro holds the license from Lucasfilm for action figures). And agreements change (Sony's Spider-Man moved to MB, which also has Columbia's The Amazing Spider-Man (2012); PotC moved from MB to TLG).

Although... Such a list, maintained by a third party, could be useful to Cuusoo-submitters looking to optimize/differentiate their proposals.

† The most obvious IP-licensors are entertainment companies, but don't forget transportation (Boeing, Maersk, railways) space agencies (NASA, JAXA) and real estate owners (the whole Architecture line).

†† Bad example:Generator Rex is licensed to MB, according to the 2011 Toy Fair, although a year later, it's not yet among their active themes.

(Oh, and could the admin please disable the forum software-censoring of [the full name of MB]? It's patently juvenile and impedes discussion of the competitive market. I had to obfuscate the hyperlinks with TinyURL. Mad )
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 312

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Cuusoo and the bane of licenses Empty Re: Cuusoo and the bane of licenses

Post  maarek Thu May 10, 2012 1:40 pm

P_Thorne wrote:(For brevity, I hereby coin the term "licensoids" for "ideas that require licensing of intellectual property (IP).")

At the May 9 (Wed.) KoP meeting, recent 10,000-vote proposals on LEGO Cuusoo were discussed briefly, and Chris voiced his vehement objection to licensoids (Back to the Future III DeLorean, Firefly freighter Serenity). Since in many cases LEGO won't be able to negotiate a license and will reject the proposal, should it impose an additional criterion to prevent licensoids from the outset?

Why do builders propose licenseoids, and why do people vote for them? IMHO, same reason as the little kids at our shows notice the licensed minifigs first, and the clever architectural flourishes never: they're familiar and recognizable.†

As I see it, a licensoid would be acceptable under these conditions:
* It extends an active license (e.g., Star Wars).
* It adds to a dormant license that might be revived (e.g., Avatar: The Last Airbender, which suffered from the dearth of buildable vehicles during its first season).
* It would need a new license from an existing licensor (e.g., Generator Rex††, from Cartoon Network, which licensed Ben 10).

But licensoids tapping entirely new licensors would be rejected. The submission-screen could actually be structured using these point-by-point criteria. (I agree with Chris that entirely original submissions, free of IP constraints, are always preferable.) Submitters may be forgiven if they don't know the exact circumstances of each license, since it's not like TLG posts a current list and contract details (e.g., CN may've been a one-time deal; Spider-Man-the-character was licensed from Sony, not Marvel; the Star Wars battle packs exist because Hasbro holds the license from Lucasfilm for action figures). And agreements change (Sony's Spider-Man moved to MB, which also has Columbia's The Amazing Spider-Man (2012); PotC moved from MB to TLG).

Although... Such a list, maintained by a third party, could be useful to Cuusoo-submitters looking to optimize/differentiate their proposals.

† The most obvious IP-licensors are entertainment companies, but don't forget transportation (Boeing, Maersk, railways) space agencies (NASA, JAXA) and real estate owners (the whole Architecture line).

†† Bad example:Generator Rex is licensed to MB, according to the 2011 Toy Fair, although a year later, it's not yet among their active themes.

(Oh, and could the admin please disable the forum software-censoring of [the full name of MB]? It's patently juvenile and impedes discussion of the competitive market. I had to obfuscate the hyperlinks with TinyURL. Mad )

I can fix it, but it was put in place before I was made an admin so I'm reluctant to change it without permission.... Joel... Cale?
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Leave the censoring, damn it. That was one of the few things that make slogging through the lengthy and incoherent diatribes posted here fun.

Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickadier General Thu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I know there are people who don't like the licensing thing, but there's no way to skirt around it without banning it outright. The site might lose some steam. Minecraft proves, for better or worse depending on your opinion, that licensing is not outright impossible. I'm stoked about Back to the Future and back before the VW Beetle set came out, I remember people voting for what the next large scale licensed car would be. Among them was a Delorean sporting the look from the film...I think it has a good chance. Even in Japan, the CUUSOO sets have been licensed.

In order for non-licensed projects to take off, they probably need more support from the Lego community, but the challenge is that it's very fragmented. Fans of Back to the Future supported the project because it was a car from the movie. AFOL interests are vast and varied.

The site's still beta and they're working out the kinks, but I think it's off to a good start.

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down