The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

My how PennLUG has Grown

+2
Brickadier General
PennLUG
6 posters

Go down

My how PennLUG has Grown Empty My how PennLUG has Grown

Post  Guest Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:09 pm

When Cale and I met at the Bob Evans in York who knew it would have progressed to this?

For those who don't know me, I'm Mike Gibney and an AFOL (why else would I be here?) (Cale will have a witty comment for that) I currently leave in Montana, but lived in PA for 25 years.

When I emerged from my dark ages I was thrilled to find sites like BL and BS and learned that Brickfest was soon happening. I immediately signed up and it was just like the AFOL comic (It's all so beautiful!) but without the tears. I still remember the guy who wore the Mega Blok T-shirt, that,,,was funny.

I was amazed at the idea of a lego club and learned that Jim foulds had tried to do it, but it had fell apart. He was now with DelVaLUG, and while some guys were from PA, it wasn't really a PA centered club. I emailed back and forth with Jim a few times and set out at the next Brickfest with a handful of contact cards. I looked at every name badge , looking for people from PA but only found three. Cale, Mike Tighe and his son Ben. Mike and Ben were busy in Harrisburg at the time with FLL, Cale agreed to meet and see if we couldn't pull this together.

Our first offical event was an open house with a bunch of displays. We didn't see any big response but continued on and new members found out about our little group via Lugnet and such. The Logo above is actually a design by Matt Krotzer, one of the first to join on (is he still alive?) and came along Matt, Chris, Dave and others.

I was sad to leave what I had started but am very proud of what it has become. Left in Cales hands it not only has managed to stay on track, but is moving ahead with a full head of steam (Cale should love the "train" reference there)

I admit I get a little jealous as people look at me odd when they learn my hobby and you guys are attending events, going to Enfield, but I'm also glad to see the club is flourishing.

I don't know when I'll be back on the East Coast. Heck I don't really have time to do much building but I do look in from time to time to see how you guys are doing and I'm always amazed.

I still have one of those little gift bags I made for PennLUGs first Anniversary unopened. Maybe I'll be able to present it at PennLUGs 10th Anniversary. tings look great here (although the colors are a little tough on the eyes) and I wish the club continued success!

Mike
Supreme Overlord in Exile
(if you don't know the supreme overlord joke, see cale)

Back to top Go down

My how PennLUG has Grown Empty Re: My how PennLUG has Grown

Post  PennLUG Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Gald to see you on the forum. Colors are because of christmas. If you get the chance come one chat.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickadier General Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:46 am

Welcome to the new forums, Mike. PennLUG really has grown exponentially in the past year. I think the opening of the Lego store gave us a big boost, but without a foundation we likely wouldn't be where we are today. Thanks to you and Cale for providing that foundation.

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreativ Snail Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Mike G
Shame on you for up and abandoning us. LOL What could Montanna possibly have that is better than here? Hope you do manage to make it back east sometime... maybe for one of the conventions?!
Kreativ Snail
Kreativ Snail
BLUE 2x4 Brick
BLUE 2x4 Brick

Female Posts : 1179

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39026423@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 pm

You guys have chat now too? where is that on here?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:When Cale and I met at the Bob Evans in York who knew it would have progressed to this?

For those who don't know me, I'm Mike Gibney and an AFOL (why else would I be here?) (Cale will have a witty comment for that) I currently leave in Montana, but lived in PA for 25 years.

You're here because Montana is a cold, dark, lonely place where LEGO is spoken of only in legends along with things like television and the automobile and civilization.

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:When I emerged from my dark ages I was thrilled to find sites like BL and BS and learned that Brickfest was soon happening. I immediately signed up and it was just like the AFOL comic (It's all so beautiful!) but without the tears. I still remember the guy who wore the Mega Blok T-shirt, that,,,was funny.

Little known fact. After that Brickfest ended the crapy clone bricks of doom t-shirt guy was quietly eliminated by LEGO's crack team of Ninja Assassins.

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:I was amazed at the idea of a lego club and learned that Jim foulds had tried to do it, but it had fell apart. He was now with DelVaLUG, and while some guys were from PA, it wasn't really a PA centered club. I emailed back and forth with Jim a few times and set out at the next Brickfest with a handful of contact cards. I looked at every name badge , looking for people from PA but only found three. Cale, Mike Tighe and his son Ben. Mike and Ben were busy in Harrisburg at the time with FLL, Cale agreed to meet and see if we couldn't pull this together.

He chased me down at Brickfest 05 and cornered me while he fed me his sad tale of trying to get a club going in PA. I took pity on him and agreed to help. Wink Thus began PennLUG. A group who's name would eventually command great respect, and strike fear in the hearts of it's enemies.

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:Our first offical event was an open house with a bunch of displays. We didn't see any big response but continued on and new members found out about our little group via Lugnet and such. The Logo above is actually a design by Matt Krotzer, one of the first to join on (is he still alive?) and came along Matt, Chris, Dave and others.

Matt K is still alive but forever lost to the World of Warcraft I think.

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:I was sad to leave what I had started but am very proud of what it has become. Left in Cales hands it not only has managed to stay on track, but is moving ahead with a full head of steam (Cale should love the "train" reference there)/quote]

Oh you sleigh me sir. Get it sleigh. That is what you use for transportation in that frozen wasteland called Montana right? lol!

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:I admit I get a little jealous as people look at me odd when they learn my hobby and you guys are attending events, going to Enfield, but I'm also glad to see the club is flourishing.

They look at you weird because you're civilized and can speak with out grunting. Razz OK, I'll stop with the Montana jokes.

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:I don't know when I'll be back on the East Coast. Heck I don't really have time to do much building but I do look in from time to time to see how you guys are doing and I'm always amazed.

I still have one of those little gift bags I made for PennLUGs first Anniversary unopened. Maybe I'll be able to present it at PennLUGs 10th Anniversary. tings look great here (although the colors are a little tough on the eyes) and I wish the club continued success!

Mike
Supreme Overlord in Exile
(if you don't know the supreme overlord joke, see cale)

Great to here from you again Mike. I hope you eventually find some LEGO fans in the fine state of Montana to play with. And don't be a stranger.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Supreme Overlord in Exile wrote:You guys have chat now too? where is that on here?

Look on the Front Page silly.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:47 am

You guys are so crazy.

(OMG I exist!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickadier General Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Matt wrote:You guys are so crazy.

(OMG I exist!)
Hey, it's Mr. "medium blue." Smile

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  legolover530 Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

i'm still alive too! though i always seem to forget my passwords and have little time between diapers, i have been happily growing/sorting/cleaning/storing my collection in anticipation of my return (to be determined, probably once the kids leave for college) as for the cute little birthday bags of the aforemention 'overlord' i too still possess one of these rare items as the birthday party was held at my dwelling (though never again have the pennluggers graced my home) perhaps as the west philly freeholders unite and compare gas prices to brick prices, we can revisit that! elsewise, i believe matt k is just adjusting to married life and secretly wishes he never laid his eyes on medium blue in lieu of the more highly prized 'maersk blue' Very Happy [rant is over, chaos may resume, don't know when you'll hear from me again] call me! think of me often!
chris f-n (formerly the conductor of chaos now the changer of diapers{not my own}) play well Very Happy

legolover530
Conductor of Chaos

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm

legolover530 wrote: i'm still alive too! though i always seem to forget my passwords and have little time between diapers, i have been happily growing/sorting/cleaning/storing my collection in anticipation of my return (to be determined, probably once the kids leave for college) as for the cute little birthday bags of the aforemention 'overlord' i too still possess one of these rare items as the birthday party was held at my dwelling (though never again have the pennluggers graced my home) perhaps as the west philly freeholders unite and compare gas prices to brick prices, we can revisit that! elsewise, i believe matt k is just adjusting to married life and secretly wishes he never laid his eyes on medium blue in lieu of the more highly prized 'maersk blue' Very Happy [rant is over, chaos may resume, don't know when you'll hear from me again] call me! think of me often!
chris f-n (formerly the conductor of chaos now the changer of diapers{not my own}) play well Very Happy

Yes we have come a long way. Who would have thought 5 years ago when it was just 5 crazy guys with delusions of grander trying to put together a small train layout for the NMRA show that we would be here where we're at today. It's good to here from you again Chris. Don't be such a stranger.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuppiluliumas Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 pm

legolover530 wrote: i'm still alive too! though i always seem to forget my passwords and have little time between diapers, i have been happily growing/sorting/cleaning/storing my collection in anticipation of my return (to be determined, probably once the kids leave for college) as for the cute little birthday bags of the aforemention 'overlord' i too still possess one of these rare items as the birthday party was held at my dwelling (though never again have the pennluggers graced my home) perhaps as the west philly freeholders unite and compare gas prices to brick prices, we can revisit that! elsewise, i believe matt k is just adjusting to married life and secretly wishes he never laid his eyes on medium blue in lieu of the more highly prized 'maersk blue' Very Happy [rant is over, chaos may resume, don't know when you'll hear from me again] call me! think of me often!

On the subject of "don't be a stranger" your location info would suggest we live in the same neighborhood!

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post  legolover530 Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm

42nd and ludlow! where are you?

legolover530
Conductor of Chaos

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down