The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening

+3
PennLUG
Shuppiluliumas
Cale
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening

Post  Cale Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 pm

The new LEGOLAND park in Florida now has an official date for it's grand opening. October 15th

http://thedisneyblog.com/2011/05/23/legoland-florida-announces-october-15th-2011-grand-opening-date/

I'm not sure if any special AFOL activities are being planed for the opening. I've been asking around but no one has confirmed anything. Even so there has been interest in PennLUG of a few of us getting a group together and going down. So who wants to crash the party?

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty re: LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm

If I am not busy with work or something I would love to go, and if my girlfriend is not busy she would love to go about 10 times more than me.

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty Re: LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening

Post  Shuppiluliumas Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Maybe we can find out at Brickworld if there will be anything there for us.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty Proposed week of Florida Fun for LEGOland opening

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:30 am

I have been putting together some preliminary plans for a week's stay.

Mapquest says it is a 17 and a half hour drive from my house. I checked Amtrak, but found that will take over 23 hours each way at a price of about $250. I then checked airline prices and found a fairly convenient, round-trip fare of about $250. That is a direct flight from Philly to Orlando and is 2 and a half hours each way. So that will be my way of getting down there.

I found a house that sleeps 10 (4 bedrooms) that rents for $104 a night for a week's stay. I do not know if that includes all the taxes. But even if it runs another $50 that still makes it less than $15 a night for 10 people and we get a whole house for that price. We could serve a breakfast everyday and leave other meals to people's own decision.

I looked into distances from this house to other things. It is about an hour to Busch Gardens Tampa and Orlando (PaB wall at Downtown Disney). It is 20-30 minutes to Cypress Gardens. And Cape Canaveral is less than 90 minutes away. With a week to fill, we could visit LEGOland three days (Sat, Sun, Wed) Busch Gardens two days (Mon, Tues) and Kennedy Space Center on Thursday. We could visit Downtown Disney at night since it stays open until 11 PM every day. With more than two cars going down (or rented if the need arises) we could accomodate personal changes to that schedule.

I had planned to talk about all this at the next meeting. But I thought we might want to get a jump on this idea. So I am presenting this scheme before hand so all may consider it and be ready to make a commitment.

Tony Sties
study

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 7:25 am

love it.

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Thu May 26, 2011 9:11 am

I defiantly want to got. Not sure yet if I could dedicate a whole week to this or not. I have to check PTO and see if someone would be able to help my wife watch my son. Will let you know what I can do soon.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  legolover530 Thu May 26, 2011 10:33 am

i'm definitely interested! i haven't done legoland california since may of 2000, and have been super psyced since the first press release of an east coast option Very Happy

not sure what my work schedule will be like, but with 2 kids, it definitely won't be for the week Sad

flying is definitely the best way to go, southwest cannot be beat, they actually lowered our flight after we booked and sent us a credit for the difference:)

the 'remodeled' legostore is open in downtown disney, but i was really disssappointed as the pab wall is a good 1/3 shorter than it used to be (but still huge compared to kop) and the new round design saw the removal of the awesome display portals that adorned the perimeter. tons of shelf space and display with a huge adjoining freebuilding room with a shiteload of pieces which i perused for pab addins Very Happy of course, lock ness creature is still there as well as some amazing new outside models of a knight and dragon, snow white and 7 dwarfs, and buzz and woody (i'll download and upload pics someday )

june 3-5 is reserve drill weekend for me so i won't be able to see you guys again Sad july drill is 9-10 so if we could do the 2nd weekend, i could make a meeting for once Razz have fun sorting, planning, and ranting Very Happy -chris

legolover530
Conductor of Chaos

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

@Vyronwynter: If you're pondering KSC, I was there for the Shuttle launch in late February, so I've got all the recent intelligence about renting a car (Priceline and Dollar), driving the B(ee|each)line Expressway, the importance of buying your KSC ticket beforehand, why the $41 price is a good deal for any space nut, and why it's valid for two days.

@Legolover530: When were you at the Downtown Disney LEGO Store? In February, it was operating out of a huge yellow tent, with an undersized PaB wall. The panels around the permanent store (I visited in 2008) *looked* like renovation fencing, but weren't specifically labeled as such.

If you're driving through central Florida with the aid of a GPS, know ahead of time where its "reroute and avoid majors" option is. FM-Traffic is handy, too. Because everybody *else* is directed by GPS onto the majors and when they're accident clogged, they are *really* clogged.

And when you take photos, remember establishing shots. That has nothing to do with LEGO bricks but, as far as my scrapbook goes, I'm still kicking myself.
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 312

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I will be thoroughly upset if I don't get to witness a drunk-build in this house.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 am

I would definitely be in for a Florida adventure.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty date of latest lego store recon...

Post  legolover530 Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 am

we went down 30april through 10 may for my son sam's 3rd birthday (his fifth and sadly his last free disney admission)

the new building is just round and kind of boring from the exterior with a neat cupola thing up top that looks like a 2nd floor but i think it's just for more natural light. the adjacent room i mentioned had a bunch of desktop cpus still waitig hookup and a full run of wall cabinets with window panes maybe for a local lug to display mocs?

i really loved the old portals around the exterior but i generally don't do well with change Smile (it still breaks my heart everytime i hold a piece of lightbley, yet find such a thrill to find a vein of classic grey in a 2nd hand lot Very Happy
-chris

legolover530
Conductor of Chaos

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:36 pm

p

Last edited by vyronwynter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:33 am; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I want to go, in the worst way, but alas I cannot.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuppiluliumas Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 am

I probably wouldn't be able to make something like this, but it sounds awesome.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:37 am

It really does sound awesome, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. If my life settles down more come October, I will try and make arrangements there (probably with Vicky) to coincide with your trip and only stay for the LEGO portion of the trip. All the LEGO, and a reduced break from work. Let me know if in the coming months the hotels all appear to be filling up (like they do for BrickFair).

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

vyronwynter wrote:I am making last minute plans for a trip to LEGOland's opening in October.

Nit: At 97 days away, that's not "last minute" unless you're building a space probe and need to hit a once-every-20-years launch window for a "grand tour" of the solar system . For instance, the "last minute" deals on travel sites are no more than three weeks out.

Do we even know what the opening festivities will be? Press releases, official October 2011 calendar. Without that knowledge, I have no reason to be interested in attending. By default, I'm in no rush -- maybe the next time my vacation-cycle returns to Florida, in a few years.
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you, Mr Thorne. Anybody else want to chime in with an assinine statement?

A simple "Not interested" would have sufficed. I have refrained, on many occasions, from commenting on your picadillos. I am not trying to start a flame war, but your comments offended me. Mad

Tony Sties

P.S.: Would anyone like to take over as Treasurer? I think this incidence is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. After 18 months in this club, I have decided to take a break at year's end.

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty Apology

Post  P_Thorne Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Tony: Sorry about that.

Everybody: Honestly, I did not mean to offend; but I hew to a high standard of verbal precision, and I feel the need to encourage it in others. That's how societies work. Members propose customs and agitate for their adoption until/unless there's sufficient backlash. (Just so it's clear, I don't consider one heated reply "sufficient," and I count silence as assent.)

By "encourage in others" I mean the community at large. Tony's sentence just happened to be an opportune example; nothing personal. There's a subtle difference between "I criticize this sentence" and "I criticize the writer." And in group forums, between "I respond to your idea for the benefit of the group" and "I respond to you." (Note how, in this post, I am explicitly marking intended recipients.)

I believed the prefix "nit:" would adequately designate the peripheral importance of the paragraph. Would it have been less offensive if I'd moved it to the end, after my request for information as to the content of (the assumed) grand opening? If I'd marked it with a smiley? If I'd put it in a box? ("Phil's Grammar Moment: Given the usual meaning of 'last minute' re: travel, i.e., ..., its use here seems misplaced.") I'm not being rhetorical -- I'm really trying to improve my writing skills.

Tony: If you wish to consider this "the last straw" in your resignation that's your prerogative, but IMHO it's a non sequitur -- how does a criticism of grammar bear on your performance as Treasurer? I trust you had other reasons, pertinent ones, like "I'm not reimbursed promptly" or "the accounts are a mess" or "I can't give the task the attention it deserves." (Also, on the same theme of organization, if you want to resign online you should do so in a dedicated thread.)

Last edited by P_Thorne on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made subject line specific.)
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Phil, your diligence towards improved grammar skills is amiable. However, the phrase "the last minute" is one that does not have a finite range of time. Each person has there own idea of when "the last minute" is for them. If someone likes to have all events planned 4 months in advance then anything less is "the last minute" for them.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Back to top Go down

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Empty Coupons for LEGOLand FLA at TRU

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 pm

A local TRU here on Long Island had a stack of coupons for the new FLA LEGOland opening up in October. Let me know if anyone needs them and I can send them to a PENNlug member who can then distribute them to the LUG.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 am

This trip really does sound like it would be insanely fun, and very much so worth going! I will have to see if I'm able to get a week off baby sitting, and if so, start rebuilding the ol' Treasure Trove of money for trips! I really hope I get to go to this Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 am

I arrived in Orlando at 1:50. I ran to LEGOland and found it closed. I felt like Clark Griswold at Wally World.

Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

LEGOLAND Florida Grand Opening Dsc06910

I don't usually build with ABS bricks, but when I do, I prefer LEGO.

Stay buildy my friends

Last edited by vyronwynter on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:19 am

Can we please have that picture featured on pennlug's main page!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreativ Snail Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 am

Almost there.
Kreativ Snail
Kreativ Snail
BLUE 2x4 Brick
BLUE 2x4 Brick

Female Posts : 1179

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39026423@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:18 am

ctbyrne wrote:Can we please have that picture featured on pennlug's main page!!!!

But of course! ... done! bounce
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down