The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

New Trains for 2010?

+3
Shuppiluliumas
bas157
Cale
7 posters

Go down

New Trains for 2010? Empty New Trains for 2010?

Post  Cale Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Check out this video.

News story.

At about the 1 min. 35 second mark where the LEGO exec is taking you can just spot what looks to be the rumored new 2010 train sets in the background.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

New Trains for 2010? Empty Re: New Trains for 2010?

Post  bas157 Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 pm

those shelves at the stores looked pretty well stocked to me? Are there any other pics of the train sets anywhere else that you know of?

bas157
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Male Posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Not that I know of. I found that link on Eurobricks.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuppiluliumas Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Oooooh. That yellow whateveritis looks really cool.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:06 am

Well I'm definately going to be getting the train set I think. I've been waiting and now is the time to do it I think. The trains looked pretty cool. Now which to get Freight or Passenger! Oh my!!

She looks SO happy. You can see both (Red- Passenger)(Yellow-Freight)
New Trains for 2010? 4206406348_842edd17f7_o
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Found it!
Definitely getting the Cargo/Freight Train.
New Trains for 2010? 4208656671_61e5ec3d74_o.
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I'll most likely buy one of each set. I am a train geek after all. geek And I'll probably pick up two of the passenger trains and use the parts from the second to build more cars for the set.

It still irks me though that LEGO continues to sell straight and curve track together. I'm seriously looking at making one of the main loops on our future train layouts Power Function only. Nate and I have the PF locomotives to do it and buying the plastic track (even with being forced to buy unneeded curves) would be much cheaper than paying those inflated prices for 9v on ebay or Bricklink. I would just end up with far more curve track than I would ever need.

Cale

maarek wrote:Found it!
Definitely getting the Cargo/Freight Train.
New Trains for 2010? 4208656671_61e5ec3d74_o.
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 am

Cale,

ins't there a way to modify the all plastic track to be able to use 9v power by adding metal lining? is that not possible? or perhaps it's cost prohbitive?
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:06 am

maarek wrote:Cale,

ins't there a way to modify the all plastic track to be able to use 9v power by adding metal lining? is that not possible? or perhaps it's cost prohbitive?

It can be done with aluminum, cooper or some other conducting tape. How ever it's a pain to do and I'm not really interested any way.

Nate and I already have enough Power Function steam engines in our roster to make a Power Function loop a viable option. In fact we were running PF engines on one of the loops at Kids Fest 90% of the time. I have a set of Power Function Diesels in the works and another steam engine or two. The Sanders brothers now have a very nice PF train, and Nate probably has another PF engine or two in the plans. An all plastic Power Function loop at this point is a perfectly viable option. One loop would still remain 9v for older trains however.

This would be a much cheaper alternative to future layout expansion. All my current 9v straight track is taped out and Mike Tighe contributed @120 staights to the BrickFair and Kids Fest layouts. The larger layout we hope to do for BrickFair 2010 will need a lot more track. If we were any other club we might be screwed because of 9v dependency. But we're one of the few clubs out there embracing the new Power Function system so it's actually not a big deal for us. I just need to find a good use for all those extra plastic curves.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  joshua sanders Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:22 am

Cale, we could not agree with you more. The conducting tape is very difficult to use. We have aluminum and copper, but have yet been successful to completely electrify it and run 9v trains. Kyle and I have also embraced the direction of Power Functions, and with our trains and layout we have decided to go that route. We have the Reading Rambles Train and two diesels that need detailing that are power functions, pictures should be coming soon...

But the combination of curve and straight RC track is just crippling. We have enough 9v curves, why do we need more RC curves..? If LEGO would release the straight and curves separately I think the curves would sit on the shelves, and by combining the two (straight & curves) it keeps sales somewhat moving for the younger targeted age of the train line.

I know that Kyle and I would definitely be able to support and help with a Power Functions loop at the layouts.

-Joshua & Kyle
joshua sanders
joshua sanders
2x2 Brick
2x2 Brick

Male Posts : 183

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41034325@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:25 am

Not to sound like an ass or anything, but why not just call up lego customer service and order straight track. Tell them the part number for the straight and give them the quantity that you want. They will give you a quote with shipping.

This may be one of those item to put on the list for bulk buy

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Evil Jack wrote:Not to sound like an ass or anything, but why not just call up lego customer service and order straight track. Tell them the part number for the straight and give them the quantity that you want. They will give you a quote with shipping.

This may be one of those item to put on the list for bulk buy

For our BrickFair 2009 layout we used 387 pieces of straight track. I was doing some doodles for next years track plan based on what MOCs are known to be in the works and have I have a rough dimension for and came up with a plan that uses 645 straights. I did not include the harbor since I don't know how large that will be yet and there is more that will probably come up so it could go larger.

So for next year if everything goes as planed we will easily double our track usage. If I call LEGO customer service asking for 300 pieces of straight track I think they may not be to cooperative (or they may not be able to help because they are laughing so hard). I may however contact Steve Witt after the new year and ask him if we can get some sort of special deal.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:04 pm

I think if you tell Steve that we are having trouble aquired the needed items for our layouts for 2010, he will definatly help. From what I learned talking to him, which I did alot of, he will do anything he can to help out clubs trying to build layouts. It the individual collector that he avoids.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Uniblab Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Cale wrote:

It can be done with aluminum, cooper or some other conducting tape. How ever it's a pain to do and I'm not really interested any
This would be a much cheaper alternative to future layout expansion. All my current 9v straight track is taped out and Mike Tighe contributed @120 staights to the BrickFair and Kids Fest layouts. The larger layout we hope to do for BrickFair 2010 will need a lot more track. If we were any other club we might be screwed because of 9v dependency. But we're one of the few clubs out there embracing the new Power Function system so it's actually not a big deal for us. I just need to find a good use for all those extra plastic curves.

Cale

The 120 straight 9v track pieces I brought are less than half of my total so I can bring more. However, the total 9v track among us all is still finite. I like the idea of a Power Functions loop. It will let us expand our layout almost limit and will then free up our inventory of 9v track for the "older" trains sections of the layout(s).

I haven't had a chance to attempt any electrification of the PF tracks yet. (Its on my list of things to do for the new year...) But I do have a very few of the PF tracks, including some switches.

Early on LEGO did sell the straights and curves separately. As Cale put it, Im sure the reason to combine the two types was to keep inventory of both moving.

I like Joel's idea of asking Steve W. about buying a bunch of straights. We could also see about how many we couuld get from LEGO S@H parts department and see which can gety the most at what prices. Or perhaps a combination.

-MDT
Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Uniblab wrote:
I like the idea of a Power Functions loop. It will let us expand our layout almost limit and will then free up our inventory of 9v track for the "older" trains sections of the layout(s).

It also helps promote the new Power Function train system that LEGO is selling. Promoting their current line instead of clinging to a dead one is great for getting on the LEGO company's good side.

Uniblab wrote: I like Joel's idea of asking Steve W. about buying a bunch of straights. We could also see about how many we couuld get from LEGO S@H parts department and see which can gety the most at what prices. Or perhaps a combination.

There is a limit to what LEGO Consumer Service can do. Asking to buy a handful of parts may be OK, trying to buy several hundred pieces of straight track is another nut entirely. I highly doubt that they keep those kind of stocks on hand. I think our best is to talk to Steve Witt. That is more or less part of his job after all.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down