The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down

4 posters

Go down

Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down Empty Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down

Post  Uniblab Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 pm

I finally got a return call from Bob Woods of LEGO Education. Several weeks ago I sent the prototype I built for him. His boss wanted to see one before committing to the project. As it turns out it is too flimsy for their purposes, which now I can understand. We don't have a problem with setting it up and leaving it alone. However, they would be handling it a lot with each demonstration.

With our design, the mast is weaker than the original because we took out the 4x4 round plates between the half-rounds to allow the wire to run down the center.

I will check with Bob to see if his boss would be interested in a redesigned version with modified (drilled) 4x4 round plates. Another possibility would be to just cut the (old style 2 conductor wire) and run it through the axle hole. I could also ask about gluing them together.

However, as of now the project has been declined. Which brings me to the 10 Wind Turbine sets I bought in anticipation of doing this for LEGO Education. I could sell the sets I bought for their project. If they later want to move forward it will cost them more, but that would be a consequence of their deciding to decline the project without first voicing their concerns or inquiring if it could be modified to meet their strength/integrity requirements. After all, it was my decision to try to get the base sets cheaper for them, without (what I thought was) official approval. Furthermore, in our conversations Bob seemed okay with the idea that $100 each wasn’t unreasonable, which would be about right if I have to buy the sets later and get the extra parts too.

Furthermore, there is the matter of the Tetrix starter set Bob gave me at Kid’s Fest. I could give most of the Wind Turbine sets, equivalent to the value of the Tetrix set, for a parts draw amongst those who went to Kid’s Fest.

Or I could sell the sets and give the money to the club for use towards tables or something.

--------------------------------

If I sell the sets, here is what I’m thinking:

I don't know who still has the Wind Turbine set in stock any more. However, I do know where you can get one (or more) at a discount...

I am willing to sell up to 8 of the sets I have. I bought them at $40 and change each, plus tax - which comes to just over $43. Since they were bought with a credit card, interest has been accruing. (Ugh!)

Therefore, I am willing to sell them to MEMBERS for $45 each.

If it is for a friend of a member, to come close to covering the interest, I'd like to get $50 each.

For complete outsiders I want $60 (which is still less than buying elsewhere with tax/shipping). Maybe less if they buy more than one.

Does this sound fair?

I know I couldn’t do anything about someone paying $45 for sets for non-members as a favor to someone else. I understand wanting to do that for friends. However, please keep in mind that I’m trying not to loose too much on interest. I was willing to accept paying interest on the sets when it meant a big project for LEGO Education. To show anyone within LEGO who might take notice that PennLUG is willing and able to do things directly for LEGO. However, since that won’t be happening any time soon I’d like to recoup most, or at least some, of that interest.

I’ll leave it to your decisions, both regarding whether to split them in a parts draw or sell them and for how much.

Mike Tighe

“There is no such thing as too much LEGO.”
Uniblab
Uniblab
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down Empty Re: Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down

Post  LEGO Dog Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I think if we sold them, the money would be great for tables etc.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25699490@N02/

Back to top Go down

Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down Empty Re: Wind Turbine project for LEGO Education shot down

Post  D_Runyon Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am

Oh man- that's a tough situation. Sorry to hear the project fell through.
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 605

http://pennlug.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brickadier General Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this. At least they gave us a shot, and the experience is still a good one for the club, no matter what the outcome will be.

I myself am not interested in buying one of the sets, even though you're letting them go for such a nice price. I have to limit my Lego budget, and there are other sets that I would want before I would be able to get one of these.

As for what you do with them, that is more or less entirely up to you. You paid for them. If you do decide to sell them at a profit and have the profit go to the club, that would be a great way to raise some funds. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Matt

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down