The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party

3 posters

Go down

Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party Empty Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party

Post  P_Thorne Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:41 pm

The same personage who inquired about speed-building games with autistic games has mooted this fundraising idea for the school. Fulfiling such a contract would be fundraising for us, obviously. Smile NYCLUG would be the more logical contact point, but I don't know if they're active -- nyclug.blogspot.com hasn't been used since 2006. Anybody want to go for this, or would it be too difficult to organize?

If I provided detail photographs of, say, a four block section of Brooklyn, and was willing to pay for materials and for your time, would your group be interested in doing a Lego model of the area at a fair-to-middling scale? I would provide photographs from street-level and there is Google Earth (and Google Street View) for further detail.

My fundraising idea would be to put the model on display, and approach the local businesses to sponsor the model by buying signage on the model - in other words, if they want the sign for their business to appear on the model (along with just the building) they would have to buy the ad space. It could be worked out that the "signs" are done with labels rather than Lego to make it easier.

Let me know whether your club would be up for this - and thanks again.

And my initial reply:

Well, this depends: any option would be expensive, and none of us are accustomed to "pricing out" projects this way. Here are the factors:

1. Scale: There are two scales AFOLs typically work in: minifig and "micro," which is about 1/5 as large.

Over the past few years, LEGO has produced several official minifig-scale sets with high levels of urban detail. They retail for around $150 for 2,000 pieces. Many AFOLs now use them as the standard inspiration for their own creations.

Green Grocer
<http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10185&cn=52&d=100>
Fire Brigade
<http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10197&cn=245&d=100>

Conversely, the new "LEGO Architecture" line uses various micro-to-nano scales:
<http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=627&d=70>

2. Parts selection: Some colors and shapes are rare and expensive, and these are inevitably the ones that best match whatever you're replicating. Designing workarounds can be tricky.

3. Design and pricing: The LEGO company now provides "LEGO Digital Designer" (LDD) and integrates it with "Design byMe" so you can order custom models. It can also output a parts list so you can buy elements on the secondary market ("BrickLink"), which is generally cheaper.

Assuming the four blocks are in a row (interior streets would be obscured), and each block has two buildings on the scale of the LEGO examples, and each has three stories, and pricing follows LEGO's model, that'd be around $1,600. PennLUG would have to include a profit margin, of course. Smile

>[ads from local businesses as labels]

They'd have to be; brick-built lettering is tricky, has a minimum scale, and certain logos and logotypes are downright impossible.
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 312

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party Empty Re: Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party

Post  Brickadier General Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 pm

This is interesting, but I don't know if it would be too much or not. We would probably need some sort of down payment or something to at least get us started on buying brick for the project. The logistics would be challenging but not impossible.

You might also want to refer her to Jonathan Lopes, as he lives in NYC (at least, I still think he does).
A post of his on Lugnet

I don't know how to contact him personally, but Cale might.

Brickadier General
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 333

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934333@N02/

Back to top Go down

Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party Empty Re: Model of Brooklyn -- From the same third party

Post  D_Runyon Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 pm

It could be feasible, but even a small model can be expensive in both brick and time. It might not raise much in the way of funds; unless he can get pledges ahead of time, I'm not sure it could move forward financially.
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 605

http://pennlug.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum