The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)

2 posters

Go down

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) Empty FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD)

Post  Ben-Laura Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:10 pm

So, I decided to dust off a project that had been set aside for quite some time, due to how the first version had some major design flaws (IMO) that I just couldn't seem to work out. Well, after going to BrickFair last month, I decided to take another crack at it (in between various RL stuff that has been keeping me constantly busy), and after tinkering around with a few ideas (one of which, even though I initially liked it best, I had to discard due to two of the key parts being discontinued & never publicly released in red), I finally came up with this.

Behold, the Federal Navy Ship Black Pearl, Black Seas Barracuda-class fusion-powered fast attack submarine for my crazy crossover sci-fi/fantasy LEGO setting. It is the third ship of the Black Seas Barracuda class SSF (Fusion-powered Fast-attack Submarines), the first two being the Black Seas Barracuda and the Jolly Roger (wonder if anyone will get the references), and all ships in the class are named after infamous pirate vessels. This one just happens to have the commander of its namesake vessel for its CO....

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) 29446949266_effd656a46_zImproved FNS Black Pearl, Forward View by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

The FNS Black Pearl is mostly deployed as part of the Federal Republic of America Navy's Caribbean Squadron, patrolling the mostly lawless waters of the Caribbean League for pirates (conventional & submarine), hunting down notorious sea monsters and giving Neo-Confederate commercial shipping & commerce raiders nightmares.

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) 28859167323_23857d5a4a_zImproved FNS Black Pearl, Aft view by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

Armed with four twin-laser cannon turrets (for engaging airborne targets & smaller surface vessels while surfaced & close-by underwater threats when submerged), dual axially-mounted torpedo tubes (each can carry either one MK 50 Long-range sonar-guided heavy torpedo or two MK 49 short-range sonar guided medium torpedoes), as well as a remote recon probe (also serves as a remote active sonar platform) and sometimes Federal Special Operations Command Underwater Demolition Team members, these medium subs pack a mean punch for their size.

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) 29446946846_efac69d8af_zInterior view, looking Forward by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

As is typical of most submarines, the interior is cramped, but provides adequate living for its crew. The forward-most compartment houses most of the air cylinders as well as an airlock for UDT divers & the remote probe to be deployed or retrieved.

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) 28859164943_32dbc113ef_zInterior View, Looking Aft by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

This sub's fusion power plant, in addition to providing electricity for propulsion & equipment, also is used to separate hydrogen & oxygen from water, thus the sub can remain submerged indefinitely, crew provisions being the only limiting factor (although some enterprising crews have been known to deploy their SOCOM UDT teams and/or remote drones to harvest seafood to extend their time below the surface when trying to remain undetected deep in enemy territory)

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) 28856614454_4702fbfc20_zBlack Pearl Bridge cut-away by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

The relatively minimalist bridge, where the captain & duty helmsman take the sub where it needs to go. (The periscope raises & lowers))

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this LDD project. I DO fully intend to build this thing for real (and bring it to at least one LUG meeting), but unfortunately, my budget is such that I've only got the barest bit of the bottom section done as of yet. This build clocks in at over 860 pieces, most of which are rather small, so you can see how it could be a bit on the expensive side, however, it is getting my top priority for my LEGO budget from now until I have it finished.
Ben-Laura
Ben-Laura
Raw ABS pellet

Back to top Go down

FNS Black Pearl, Fusion Powered Sub MOC (LDD) Empty super cool!!

Post  afol666 Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 am

the cross over appeal the idea and the model is just amazing!!!!!
afol666
afol666
1x1 Brick
1x1 Brick

Male Posts : 29

Back to top Go down