The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

No More Store Discounts at Conventions?

5 posters

Go down

No More Store Discounts at Conventions? Empty No More Store Discounts at Conventions?

Post  rgb Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

rgb
rgb
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 624

http://www.robbender.com/

Back to top Go down

No More Store Discounts at Conventions? Empty Re: No More Store Discounts at Conventions?

Post  maarek Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:00 pm

The writing was on the wall last year with all the be sure not resell etc. Also I think the LUGBULK's effectiveness is also contributing to the end of the discount if you ask me.

Rather than having to buy sets to get certain parts; in large part we can ask for large quantities of parts via the LUGBULK. I personally saved up for events to help further my "set" collections knowing I could get a discount. Will I still buy sets of course. Will I still attend events, of course. The sole reason was not the discount (But it helped for sure). I loved seeing what others made.

Now I think this could be good though; because the rift raft who only came because of the discount will likely stop coming!

It was inevitable.
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

No More Store Discounts at Conventions? Empty Re: No More Store Discounts at Conventions?

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm

maarek wrote:The writing was on the wall last year with all the be sure not resell etc. Also I think the LUGBULK's effectiveness is also contributing to the end of the discount if you ask me.

Rather than having to buy sets to get certain parts; in large part we can ask for large quantities of parts via the LUGBULK. I personally saved up for events to help further my "set" collections knowing I could get a discount. Will I still buy sets of course. Will I still attend events, of course. The sole reason was not the discount (But it helped for sure). I loved seeing what others made.

Now I think this could be good though; because the rift raft who only came because of the discount will likely stop coming!

It was inevitable.

LUGBULK is no longer effective as none of the 109 American LUGs actually qualify for it this year. Cale and I are still trying to get both clubs accepted. The implied rules are different from those written. No longer does Brick Fair, Brick World, etc. count as an event. I have personally turned away events for DelVaLUG because no one is interested in doing the small events. It's those small events that are the implied events that TLG actually will accept as credit towards the LUGBULK program. FYI, technically the EXPO will NOTcount towards LUGBULK.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25699490@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Oh and I emailed Kevin to verify. I haven't received anything from him about this and he is usually good about keeping the AFOL community up to speed.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Does the display at AoE count? Its technically a small event.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey! Who are you calling riff raff?!

I don't see why they care so much. No matter what a person does with the LEGO after they've bought it, LEGO has already made their money. Do they think one or more businesses are going to threaten their position by selling LEGO in the aftermarket? A rival business could by definition NEVER have as much of a selection as the producing company. Maybe it's just because I'm a seller. I like providing the service of making goods available to people who need them. Am I so different than TLG? But maybe this has nothing to do with people reselling items that they purchased on sale. Maybe they have other motives behind no longer being as accommodating as they once were. I'll have to seriously consider if I want to register for BrickFair in August. I can't get a vendor table and there will be no discounts (not that I ever really bought much at the store). It is not cheap to attend such an event for 4 days, not for me at least.

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Maybe the two issues are related. Maybe LEGO wants to kill off the big events, and get LUGs to focus on running their own, smaller events. I'm not sure what difference it makes to them, though.
cjedwards
cjedwards
King of the Action

Male Posts : 337

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Keep the events small so nothing rivals their Kidsfests.

Back to top Go down

Post  cjedwards Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 pm

I don't think it's that, since the Kidsfests aren't really theirs. Those belong to LM&E.
cjedwards
cjedwards
King of the Action

Male Posts : 337

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 pm

cjedwards wrote:I don't think it's that, since the Kidsfests aren't really theirs. Those belong to LM&E.

Yes, but they are officially "sponsored" by LEGO if I'm not mistaken. Whereas BrickFair, etc LEGO came, but did not sponsor or organize or hire a company to organize the event.

I didn't realize that the larger venues didn't count. I would think AoW might count. I haven't seen the "definition" as per what your talking about.
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Evil Jack wrote:Does the display at AoE count? Its technically a small event.

The event must be run by the LUG itself. AoW is run by AoW and we are invited, EXPO is run by Keystone and we are invited, Steamtown is run by Steamtown and we are invited. The implied rules are we must run the event ourselves. However for now, they are excepting AoW, Steamtown, Philcon. Next year this may change if we can't get them to rethink the program. Also the only one LUG has been able to claim the event. Penn will probably get credit for the expo, where Del Val won't.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Here is what Kevin just sent me.

Hi Mike,

Yes, that is an excerpt that has been copied and pasted from a full email
detailing what is still offered and the reason behind the changes. The email was
sent to every North American fan event coordinator a few days ago as these
changes impact their events/attendees. There are still a plethora of items still
be offered however, the post has only listed the negatives. This does not affect
other areas of community support such as LUGs and online fan site support.

Thanks,
-Kevin

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

maarek wrote:
cjedwards wrote:I don't think it's that, since the Kidsfests aren't really theirs. Those belong to LM&E.

Yes, but they are officially "sponsored" by LEGO if I'm not mistaken. Whereas BrickFair, etc LEGO came, but did not sponsor or organize or hire a company to organize the event.

I didn't realize that the larger venues didn't count. I would think AoW might count. I haven't seen the "definition" as per what your talking about.

The written rules and implied rules are different. Cale and I found out the hard way. I called Jim and got it straightened out and Cale and are trying to get both clubs into the program for 2013.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:42 pm

What are the requirements for participation?
The LEGO LUGBULK Program is only accessible for members in a registered LUG. A LUG needs to meet the following requirements to become a registered LUG:
The LUG need min. 10 members (please tell us the member figure of your LUG)
The LUG need to feature at least 2 public displays a year (please send dates and links to pictures of your 2 biggest public events from 2012. Participation in an event planned by another LUG or TLG does NOT count.
The LUG need to exist for at least 1 year (please tell us the founding date)
The LUG need to have an official website (please send us the link – Facebook, flickr or other social media web sites will not be accepted)
The LUG need to have at least a 1 page description of the LUG and its activities on the website (please send us the link to that page)
Send the attached Master Data Sheet and the attached LUG INFO FORM that you fulfill the above mentioned requirements to the LEGO LUGBULK Team at lugbulk@LEGO.com no later than December 1st 2012 (The required information need to be send by every LUG whether the LUG has already participated before in the program or not!)

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 pm

And why exactly do they want to alienate every single NA club from participating? This sounds counter productive to the original purpose.

I mean I get small shows/public displays that aren't your normal venue for LEGO. It gets the product visiable to people that might not normally have seen it.

The idea that the club has to plan/run/create two displays is just asinine.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LEGO Dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Evil Jack wrote:And why exactly do they want to alienate every single NA club from participating? This sounds counter productive to the original purpose.

I mean I get small shows/public displays that aren't your normal venue for LEGO. It gets the product visiable to people that might not normally have seen it.

The idea that the club has to plan/run/create two displays is just asinine.

I agree, but I wish they would have just stated that rather than playing the games they did. We are going to try to get that fixed for next year.

LEGO Dog
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down