The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Categories of LEGO

+2
Brianb
Kreativ Snail
6 posters

Go down

Categories of LEGO Empty Categories of LEGO

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey, does anyone else have a WTF is that pile? I am trying to get my LEGO room organized and wonder if I am going about it wrong. I currently have parts separated into category but some pieces I just don't know what they are. Also all the bins and boxes take up a lot of space. Is there a better containment option known only to AFOL's?
thanks
any advice is helpful - I also wonder if I should keep some sets together...hmmm Huh?

Back to top Go down

Categories of LEGO Empty LEGO sorting and storage

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Since the October meeting will be at my home, you can see then what I am about to describe.

I sort by shape, i.e., plate, brick, slope, modified plate ... I put these in a baggie then in a drawer. I find this keeps "dead space" to a minimum while allowing for expansion as needed.

I then group the things that are difficult to classify into some kind of order. Ships, airplane, building etc.

As to WTF parts, I suggest bringing them to a meeting or looking for the part number on the piece. There are a few of us, in the club, that possess an encyclopedic knowledge of every thing LEGO. (And if no one else knows, I can tell you a lie that will satisfy you.)

Unfortunately, this a very personal issue. You simply have to find a system that you can work and that works for you.

Back to top Go down

Categories of LEGO Empty Re: Categories of LEGO

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Looks like I am going to have to host again so new members can see the most organized LEGO store in existence.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreativ Snail Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

I sort tiny things into bead trays and little drawers. Then I sort the remaining bricks, plates, slopes, and large misc pieces by colour. So, for example, in black I have a bin of black bricks, with the 1x1, 1x2, corners, textured, and panels each in their own baggies, everything else loose together. Then I have another bin of black ( because it wont all fit in 1 bin) that bin has plates and slopes and oddballs. The 2x2 or larger plates are loose in the bin, 1x3 or larger plates are separate in deli containers or baggies, as are slopes, inverted slopes, curved slopes, and other oddballs. So, if I want to build something black I put both bins on the table, along with the bead trays I think I will need. Everyone has their own way that works for them. Some people put the same part, regardless of colour together, such as a bin of 1x1 bricks, a bin of 1x2 bricks, a bin of 1x3 bricks, etc. I only do that with tiny things, or real unusual parts, because, for example, if you need a hinge, you might not have it in the colour you want, so you need to see what you DO have that will work, so all my hinges are sorted by type, not colour. You will, by trial and error, find out what works best for you, taking into account your building style, size of your collection, and number of containers you have to use. snail
Kreativ Snail
Kreativ Snail
BLUE 2x4 Brick
BLUE 2x4 Brick

Female Posts : 1179

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39026423@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brianb Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Like the other have said it is a personal preference. But, the more sorted you keep your collection, the easier it is to find the part that you want, or find out that you don't have the part that you want...

Good Luck.

Brian
Brianb
Brianb
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 452

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46915173@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:08 pm

vyronwynter wrote:Since the October meeting will be at my home, you can see then what I am about to describe.

I sort by shape, i.e., plate, brick, slope, modified plate ... I put these in a baggie then in a drawer. I find this keeps "dead space" to a minimum while allowing for expansion as needed... I can tell you a lie that will satisfy you.)

Unfortunately, this a very personal issue. You simply have to find a system that you can work and that works for you.
I like the baggie idea... I should post pics so the scale of sheer chaos can be understood!
Thanks Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  maarek Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Don't worry not everyone has sorted LEGO, mine unfortunately are equally spread in 4 or 5 large containers, then dozens of smaller containers. I sort while I build or at least try to, but then ran out of room sorting so it kinda stopped. Now it's more like the kids memory game. Where did I see that piece.... hehehe.

Someday it'll be sorted... someday...
maarek
maarek
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 546

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captmaarek/

Back to top Go down

Post  P_Thorne Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 am

KmyRug wrote:Hey, does anyone else have a WTF is that pile? ... I currently have parts separated into category ...

"Category" is a flexible thing with LEGO elements -- shape, connectivity, or ostensible use? E.g., if you group all your "airplane" elements you might overlook their utility in a monster or building. If you have enough duplicates, you can divide them across both use-categories, which may lead to serendipitous discoveries.

Serious builders end up sorting elements in order to find them ("aiee! my 1x1 bricks have sunk to the bottom of the 2x1 bin! and I can't tell bley from grey in this light!"), but some elements are so distinctively shaped that they come easily to hand. Do your "WTF" elements so qualify?

Given the scale of your collection and your building style, you have to find a balance between "separating parts that are easily confused" and "so many containers I've forgotten what I own." Personally, I keep a small supply of each element in a set of hanging drawer-chests, and the rest in a "backing store" of clear plastic shoeboxes on a shelf. Because I do mostly micro-building, it's more important to have variety than volume.
P_Thorne
P_Thorne
2x3 Brick
2x3 Brick

Male Posts : 312

http://underbase.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Categories of LEGO Empty Sorting

Post  Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Thank You to Everyone for all the responses they were very helpful. Sorry for the delay in this post I have been having serious computer issues!

Now that the sorting matter is settled I do have a new issue:
The containers that used to suffice to contain my sorted elements seem to grow smaller and smaller as my collection grows...

I like the baggie idea to save space but I have hear of cataloging by set, latticing or stacking bricks etc. does anyone have any oppinions on these?

I cannot wait for the part swap! Wen do we get more details about that?
I need to get rid of windows, doors, technic, yellowed bricks, wind sheilds, weapons and wheels.
Can we start a got it, want it list?

Back to top Go down

Post  D_Runyon Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

KmyRug wrote:
Now that the sorting matter is settled I do have a new issue:
The containers that used to suffice to contain my sorted elements seem to grow smaller and smaller as my collection grows...

I like the baggie idea to save space but I have hear of cataloging by set, latticing or stacking bricks etc. does anyone have any oppinions on these?

i HAVE THE... *ahem* I have the same problem. I do stack bricks/plates for storage, shooting for a 6 stud x 6 stud x 4 brick block, as they fit my Plano storage cells. Even bricks in other storage get similar treatment.

1x4 plates and bricks go in an alternating layer system that yields a 6x6 layer with 2x2 hole (2x4 plates and bricks go in a similar system). 1x6 plates go in a rotating layer of 5 plates to create a 6x6 block. 1x6 bricks just go in a big chunk. 1x3 plates and bricks get stacked in 3x3 units, which fit 4 to a cell. 2x2 L plates/bricks combine to make 2x3 units, which can then fit into alternating layers of 6x6 (2x3 plates/bricks get the same treatment). Most 1x1s (cones, cylinders, round plates, bricks, etc.) get stacked by color. Large and medium Technic bricks (1x4 and up) get stacked by size and color (black 1x16s, for example) and then stored as "sheets." 2x6 plates/bricks get stacked in 6x6 layers, 2 elements to a layer (this makes them easier to get apart). 2x8+ plates get stacked into wobbly plus-shaped towers (this is a bad system which falls over every time I or my 2-year-old bump the table). Lots of other things get stacked too (1x2 plates with handle, 1x2-1x4 brackets, 1x2 and 2x2 bricks, etc.). It works pretty well for most things, I think. I haven't noticed any loss of clutch and very little damage (I think the bottoms of a couple *newer* headlight bricks cracked, but I have older ones that have held up just fine).
D_Runyon
D_Runyon
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 605

http://pennlug.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rgb Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 am

I wrote this blog post about my sorting system awhile back: http://robbender.blogspot.com/2011/02/organizing-lego.html

To save space, I've been trying to stack pieces together more. Plates I do in a staggered pattern like Dave to make them easier to separate. For baggies, I suggest getting the various small ones made for beads/crafts (you can get them cheap at Walmart) and using the smallest baggie that will hold the parts.
rgb
rgb
2x4 Brick
2x4 Brick

Male Posts : 624

http://www.robbender.com/

Back to top Go down

Categories of LEGO Empty Sorted!

Post  Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 am

Thank You again! Very helpful! Staggered stacking and the article. Glad to know I am not the only one with this *ahem* issue. I was up all night but I can finally see the floor again in our LEGO Room! I still need more boxes but I can breath again. Ahhhhhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down