The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The PennLUG Forum
Welcome to PennLUG Forums! Please login or register. While registering please make sure to select YES on Newsletter so you can emails for dates and time.
The PennLUG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Google Calendar
Latest topics
» New member request
by maarek Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

by RSchamus2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 pm

by Uniblab Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:28 pm

» Hello fellow AFOLs
by maarek Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:11 pm

» Greetings!
by danny316p Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:06 am

» Greetings!
by MRMAURO Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:03 pm

» Hello
by danny316p Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

» New Member Request
by danny316p Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

» Newbie from Harrisburg
by Uniblab Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 pm

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 am

» Introducing Myself!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am

» Greetings PENNLUG!
by D_Runyon Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am

» Contact for Lego Printing Permissions
by Lewa1096 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am

» Introductions
by Lewa1096 Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am

» PIQABRICK Kickstarter email
by danny316p Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 pm

» Official Apology to Mike Who I Met at the King of Prussia Lego Store Yesterday
by Crazy Lego Lady Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

» ISO Advent Calendar Plastic inserts !
by Csnow05 Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

» Anyone collect instructions and printed materials?
by ColonelCrafty Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:32 am

» King of Prussia LEGO Store Grand Re-Opening Event
by danny316p Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am

» Hi
by jje4th Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives

3 posters

Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Best way to power PF F7 locomotives

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Good evening! I'm hoping some of the more seasoned LEGO train fans here can help me with a problem. I have built 2 Santa Fe F7 Units. I have put a PF rechargeable battery box in the rear section, a PF receiver in the front section and a PF power truck underneath the battery (from the Red Passenger Train that is still for sale on LEGO.com). The engine runs fine buy itself, but as soon as I add the 2nd dummy F7 or any cars, the power truck just sits and spins.

What would be the best way to power this loco? I tried adding a second power truck to the front of the loco, but it runs in the opposite direction of the first one. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,

Ron Kouf
Watsontown, PA

Back to top Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Re: Best way to power PF F7 locomotives

Post  Shuppiluliumas Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 am

It's good to hear there are more Lego train builders around here. If there are any pictures of these locomotives online, that might be helpful. Without knowing anything else, though, I imagine a second motor would help a lot. Just turn one around relative to the other so they're spinning the same way.

If you don't want to do that, it's possible there is a problem with weight distribution or some issue with parts binding on each other behind this. If the engines you built were 6-wide and a similar scale to the Lego Super Chief set, I would think one motor would be more than enough. I think we'd need to see it to figure out anything else, though.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Re: Best way to power PF F7 locomotives

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 am

Hello Ron
I have just powered my sante fe with power functions it has a traction problem
a fellow member Joel (Evil Jack) added some of the boat weight bricks to it and it pulled ok
also the train god Cale Leipert also told me the old grey wheel sets are very prone to binding and need to be
fixed to free up the traction problem
maybe cale can post a link to the fix or something for you
I used just one power truck and it pulled an F7-A-B-and the 4 cars in the sante fe set
it ran for 4+ hours on a set of batterys
Hope this helps I did power the B-UNIT not the A
Tony E

Back to top Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Pictures forthcoming

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Thank you guys for the advice. I'm setting up a BrickShelf account so I can upload some photos for everyone to see of this project. The build is the 6 wide Santa Fe F unit done some time ago. Since I only have plastic track, I need to make it compatible with PF. I could use 2 power trucks, but unlike the old 9V power trucks that you just snapped in, I have the wiring back to the PF Receiver to worry about. Just truning the truck around so that the wires are facing the same direction doesn't seem to be an option, since the only holes in the train baseplate for the wires are in the center. Is there a way to reverse the polarization of one of the trucks?

The other option I was considering is 2 geared Technic trucks with shafts into the carbody, then using 2 PF motors to power them. Only problem with that is the PF motors are taller than the carbody.

I just can't believe a single PF Power Truck cannot pull the engine itself and a dummy engine. Would putting better rubber bands on the wheels help?

Thanks everyone!

Ron
Watsontown, PA

Back to top Go down

Post  PennLUG Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:32 pm

It's just a matter of wiring to get them running in same direction just flip the way you have the wire connected to the power source. This is assing you have both motor going to the same IR sensor. If your using two different sensors then you need to flip the directional switch on the controller you are using.

And as Tony said its a traction issue. There is plenty of power in the new motor you just have to make it stick to the track. Easiest solution is more weight. Better rubber on the wheels will help as well.

PennLUG
Strategos
Strategos

Male Posts : 507

https://pennlug.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Photos of PF F7

Post  Guest Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Here are a few photos of the PF F7 project I've been working on. Maybe after seeing it, someone can point out my traction/pulling power error. Thanks for all the suggestion!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459420

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuppiluliumas Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, looking at that, there are a couple things you might try. There's no reason a new PF motor couldn't pull that and a few cars. Adding weight might help if there's room to do it. Also, you might try some thicker rubber on the wheels. We usually use plumbing o-rings. Get the thinner ones: they'll still be quite a bit thicker than the stock Lego rubber. Here's a Railbricks post about it from Tony Sava where he suggests the #35 o-rings:

http://www.railbricks.com/railblog-categories/power-functions/93-a-power-functions-primer

Also, make sure the wheels on your non-powered truck are spinning freely, and that the trucks can swivel freely around turns.

Shuppiluliumas
Prince of Action

Male Posts : 450

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Back to top Go down

Best way to power PF F7 locomotives Empty Problem solved!!!

Post  Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello again! Thank you all for the fine suggestion on motorizing my F7 with power functions. Turns out the problem was three-fold.

First of all, I replaced the rubber traction bands as suggested. Good improvement!
Second, I added some extra weight above the power truck to improve the downward force and traction.
Third and most importantly, I replaced the technic axles with the standard metal train wheel axles (with a little bit of shimming of course). This made the biggest difference by greatly reducing the wheel friction.

I will post some photos of my alterations when I get a little more time. Thank you again for all of your great ideas.

Now that I can pull more cars... What should I build next?! :-)

Happy Railroading!

Ron
Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 am

It's good to hear you've got your engine running better. The issue Tony mentioned with the older gray wheel sets is that due to improper molding the walls of the wheel holder surrounding the flanges of the wheels is too thick. This causes the holder to contact the wheel and cause excessive friction. Here is an illustration of what I'm talking about.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=264039

This was predominately a problem around the time the Super Chief sets were produced affected the grey wheel sets. I've never heard of much problem with the black wheel sets around this time. If you have the gray wheel sets and they are rubbing and you don't mind modifying your wheels they can be fixed. You'll need to take an exact o knife and carefully shave the inner part of the wheel set that rubs the flange.

My Super Chief set has this problem but I've never bothered to fix mine.

Hope that helps.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Male Posts : 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampoweredbricks/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:28 am

Thanx cale for hooking me up on that link
you da man

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 am

Here is a great link for you cale
I hope you enjoy it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6-fSkoFNQ&feature=related

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Vader22135 wrote:Here is a great link for you cale
I hope you enjoy it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6-fSkoFNQ&feature=related

That's obviously not a LEGO Santa Fe engine. It must be mega butt-crack the way it falls apart. A true LEGO train stays together better when it falls. I know this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1882575

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Cale wrote:

That's obviously not a LEGO Santa Fe engine. It must be mega butt-crack the way it falls apart. A true LEGO train stays together better when it falls. I know this.

My response to you is the same as the one to those who say a cat always lands on its feet.

You are not thowing it right.

Tony Sties

Back to top Go down

Post  Cale Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm

vyronwynter wrote:
Cale wrote:

That's obviously not a LEGO Santa Fe engine. It must be clone brick the way it falls apart. A true LEGO train stays together better when it falls. I know this.

My response to you is the same as the one to those who say a cat always lands on its feet.

You are not thowing it right.

Tony Sties

Ha ha ha. The funniest part is that BNSF engine that I crashed belonged to some one else. Mine was the one still on the table. And of corse as soon as it hit the floor some one was there to get photographic evidence of the incident.

Cale
Cale
Cale
Railroad Tycoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down